Friday 23 May 2014

Let God be First in Everything in Our Lives

As I look at the lives we are living nowadays, I am getting so concerned that men are running away from God. The things of God that we used to value when I was a younger man seem to be of no value to a lot of us. As head of my family, there are certain Godly values that I instilled on my children which helped them to be what they are today. We cannot keep God away or not make Him first in our lives and then expect Him to be on our side. God must be first in everything in our lives.

Matthew 6:33-34

“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own”. (NIV)

I have struggled for years to understand how people who don’t follow God or read the Bible come up with morals and principles. My mind cannot understand how you know if something is right, is it because someone said so? Do I just believe whatever anything tells me? If that is the case you will fall for anything.

I have always wanted someone to prove and back up whatever they tell me. This is what appeals to me most about God’s word. The Bible is a living and breathing book that still teaches me something every time I read it and applies to all situations. I know a lot of people have a difficult time with this and I can completely understand that.

I understand those who profess to be Christians as well as the church body have deeply wounded and hurt others leaving them feeling betrayed and hating God, Christians and the church. As a follower of Jesus, someone whom has actively been involved in church as well as served in leadership, I have experienced deep wounds to the point of wanting to walk away from it all and never return. This is not a just a one time experience, this has happened on more occasions that I can count.

As I have gotten older I have come to the realization that we are all sinful, there is no perfect church and the building where we meet on Sundays is a building composed of sinful people who will fail us. God is always the same, he never changes.

Hebrews 13:8

“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” (NIV)

In my life I have been through more than my fair share of trial. The one constant in my life has been my relationship with God. The experiences I have had to walk through are not something I would wish on anyone; however they have shaped me into the man I am today. What I have experienced shouts out there is a God and he is in charge and there is absolutely no denying this. Time after time I have seen God prove himself in my life primarily through grace, peace, wisdom and love. The only way I am the person, husband, father, friend or leader I am today is because of God and his work in my life.

James 1:2-3

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance”. (NIV)

I believe the Bible is relevant today just as when it was written. I do not doubt for one minute what God said in the beginning doesn’t pertain today. I have learned to look at the culture it was written to, take out the principles, test them and work them out in my mind, see how they apply to my life and the culture in which I live. For me the center and core of my life is designed around God and his word. The morals that guide me as a person all ties back to what God has called us to be.

For me to spend the rest of my life means daily pursuing God. I’ve always needed it, but as I have grown and matured, I realize just how valuable it truly is. I strived to be the example for my children as they were my greatest audience. I took an active role in our church not just as a leader, but as a participant, I go to church on Sunday, meet with other brethren and talk openly and honestly about life issues we all face. When I am I talk to people about life issues we all face and make myself accountable to stay on track. I open myself up to feedback all the time to make sure I am getting it right. This allows God to speak into my life through various means.

Proverbs 3:5-6

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” (NIV)

I believe that real men need a moral compass to guide and direct their lives. Mine happens to be God. I can’t imagine what my life would look like without him. I need and want him everyday. I believe for a man to be any good at anything he will need God to guide and direct his path. I believe men who are authentic choose to get real about who and what they believe as well as putting God in the driver’s seat. Real men are proud of these things and allow it to permeate every aspect of their life. These are the real authentic men I know. This is the real authentic man I have become and it’s only because I put God first that I am able to do this.

The biggest question to ask is: “HAVE YOU ALLOWED GOD TO BE FIRST IN YOUR LIFE?” I can assure you that if God is on your side, though you will face challenges and storms in your life, you will always take them to Him.

We can take our rightful role as men when we put God first in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment